Healthy dinner: HOMEMADE CHICKEN FINGERS
HOW DO YOU MAKE CHICKEN FINGERS?
The first step in this recipe is to marinate the chicken in buttermilk. This tenderizes the chicken and helps the seasoned flour stick to the chicken. The chicken fingers get dipped into the flour mixture, then egg, then the flour again to create an extra thick and crispy exterior.
The final step is to fry your chicken tenders until they’re golden brown. Add your favorite dipping sauce on the side, then enjoy!
WHAT ARE CHICKEN BREAST TENDERS?
This recipe calls for chicken breast tenders, also called chicken breast tenderloins. The tender is a flap of meat that sits directly under the main part of the chicken breast. These pieces of chicken are often more tender than standard chicken breast, hence their name. If you can’t find chicken tenders, this recipe will work just as well with strips of boneless skinless chicken breast.
BAKED CHICKEN FINGERS
If you prefer to bake your chicken fingers, you can do so by using breadcrumbs as the coating instead of flour. You’ll want to combine 2 cups of panko breadcrumbs with the spices listed in the recipe. Coat each piece of chicken in egg, then roll in the breadcrumb mixture. Place the chicken pieces on a greased sheet pan and coat them with cooking spray. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes or until tenders are golden brown.
- 2 pounds chicken breast tenders
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- vegetable oil for frying
- Place the chicken breast tenders and buttermilk in a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 8 hours.
- Place the eggs in a medium sized bowl. Place the flour, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic, onion and baking powder in a second bowl.
- Stir the flour and spices together until well combined.
- Take each piece of chicken out of the buttermilk mixture. One at a time, coat the chicken in the flour, then dip in the egg, then coat again in the flour. Repeat until all chicken pieces are coated.
- Heat 3 inches of oil in a large deep pot to 350 degrees F.
- Cook 4-5 pieces of chicken at a time for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels, then serve.
Calories: 375kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 40g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 185mg | Sodium: 642mg | Potassium: 718mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 305IU | Vitamin C: 1.8mg | Calcium: 98mg | Iron: 2.6mg